The Happy Process
From booking your camper van online to returning your new best friend at the end of an unforgettable Iceland trip. This is your 10-step Happy Journey and we're excited to be a small part of it. This page briefly goes over our Happy process that has the only goal of seeing you return your van with a big smile on your face. You can check out the summary by watching the video or read more about each step in detail below.
1. Booking the Van
Booking your van on our website should be simple, easy, and fun. We built our own booking engine from scratch to make sure that's the case. It's always up-to-date and has the best prices, so you don't have to wonder if other travel agencies or comparison websites have better availability or prices. Please check out the video below where we explain all steps of the online booking process:
Online Booking Process
In short, here are the most common things to keep in mind when booking a campervan through our website:
- If you receive a message that says "no car in this category available for this date" unfortunately that is the case. Our booking engine is always up-to-date, so try playing around with the dates and times until you find something that works for you. If everything fails, you can always send us a message, although there is usually not much we can do to free up a camper.
- Make sure that you are renting the van for the desired number of days. Look for the cost overview on the right where it says "Cost for X days". Note that if you return the van later than you pick it up, another day will be added to your booking automatically. So if possible, keep the return date the same or earlier to save a day on the rental.
- Make sure to check out our Terms and Conditions and Extras pages for more information about our insurance options and extras. You can add it to your booking on Step 2 in the booking process.
- If you want a FREE pickup from the airport or hotel in Keflavik, you can set that up in Step 2. Please let us know your flight number so we can monitor your flight and make sure we're on time to pick you up. Our shuttle starts running at 08:00 so the earliest we can be at the airport is 08:15. Please enjoy the free WiFi and grab a coffee in the waiting area until we pick you up.
- In the "Code" field on Step 3, please put in your country code. For the USA, for example, it is "1".
- We charge a 30% booking deposit to guarantee your van for your dates. You can get a full refund on this amount if you cancel within 20 days of your arrival.
- Please review your booking information, accept the terms and conditions, and look out for our confirmation email with your booking information.
- Please look in your SPAM folder if you are unable to find your confirmation email.
2. Trip Preparation
Now that you have booked the van, you will most likely be spending some time researching Iceland in preparation for your trip. You might get some inspiration from Instagram or hang out on TripAdvisor forums and we highly encourage that. From our side, however, you can expect the following:
- Looking for photos and stories from other happy campers on the road? Check out our constantly updated Instagram profile (see gallery below).
- Check out our Facebook page for relevant and useful Iceland-related content.
- Our blog has a lot of useful information and fun travel stories from other happy campers, so make sure to check that out.
- We will send you an email a few days before your arrival with some helpful information to make sure that you're ready for your Happy Campers journey.
- Look through our Q&A page, where we answer some of the most common questions we receive from the thousands of travelers that have walked through our doors.
- If you simply cannot find the answer to your questions, we are always available for a chat through social media, phone (+354 5787860), or email (info"at"happycampers.is)
3. Free Shuttle Pickup
One of the things that makes Happy Campers unique is that we offer a free shuttle pickup and dropoff. We know that after a long flight/trip the last thing you want to do is organizing transportation. That's why we don't ask you to find your way to our office by yourself or ask you to use a bus to get to our office. If you're in the Keflavik area, we simply pick you up ourselves.
When you book your van using our website, you can choose your free shuttle pickup option and you're all set. Just give us your flight number and estimated arrival time, or hotel address and desired pickup time, and we'll see you there. We will then drive you to our office (approx. 5 min. drive from the airport) where we will give you your campervan.
Here are some helpful tips if you are being picked up from the airport:
- Please look for us in the arrival hall (you enter it through a sliding door after getting through customs).
- We will be wearing a Happy Campers shirt/jacked and holding a Happy Campers sign with your name on it.
- If you are arriving outside our shuttle hours (08:15-16:30) or if you simply cannot find us, please wait in the arrival hall waiting area. If you expect to be waiting for a while, have some coffee, enjoy the free WiFi, and get comfortable until we pick you up.
- We might be picking up other customers from the same flight or a flight arriving at a similar time, so we appreciate your patience while we wait for those other happy campers.
4. Check-in at Office
Now that you're at our office, it's time to take care of some paperwork. No worries, this will only take a few minutes and your kids or travel companions can have some chocolate or coffee and relax in our seating area. We will be going over these two main things with you:
- Your booking
- Is your dropoff date and time correct?
- Do you need to add or remove any extras?
- Do you have questions about insurance?
- The car rental agreement
- We will briefly explain the agreement, which is a standard car rental agreement in Iceland and available on our website here.
- We will need a signature and a copy of a credit card from the main driver (for insurance purposes).
- We will go over any questions that you might have about the agreement.
Now that the paperwork is done with, we can move on to the next step, our Information Corner.
5. Information Corner
We at Happy Campers take preparation seriously and we want our travelers to start their journey with confidence. This is why we take the extra steps of providing resources and spending time with every customer before they start their trip. Between looking at our large Iceland wall map, using our Information Corner touch screen, and looking at brochures, we're confident that we can find a good answer to all of your questions.
We can usually spend as little or as much time with you as you prefer at this stage and this is the perfect time to ask us all of those questions about Iceland that you haven't found answers to yet. Remember, there are no silly questions at the Happy Campers office.
For a more in-depth look at what our Information Corner covers, check out our Information Corner Page.
6. Campervan Tour
It's time to meet your new travel partner and your home in Iceland. Now that we've covered all of your general questions about traveling in Iceland in our Information Corner, we can talk more specifically about how to operate the campervan.
This process will take anywhere from 5-20 minutes and, again, depends on your preference and previous knowledge. If you have, for example, checked out our campervan tour videos on YouTube, you will already know a lot of what we'll be going over during the campervan tour.
After going through the entire camper and answering any questions that you might have, it's time to hand over the keys. You are all set to start your adventure!
7. Start Your Adventure
8. Return & checkout
It's going to be difficult, but it's time to return to the office and say goodbye to your little travel companion. Just park the van in the designated return parking area and let us know that you're returning the van.
Take your time emptying the van but don't worry about bringing in the extras that you rented or any extra food. Our crew will take care of that and restock our "Green Zone" with anything that is useful for future travelers. We will have a trash and recycling bins in the area for your convenience.
When you're ready, we will have a quick look at the van and if everything looks good, we will give you a copy of your invoice and close the rental. That's it!
9. Shuttle Dropoff
So now that you've returned your campervan, you are most likely on your way to the airport or a nearby hotel. Don't worry about how to get there - we will drive you!
You don't even have to schedule a shuttle dropoff in advance. Our shuttle is on a schedule and runs at least every 60 minutes. If time allows, we could possibly drive you to the airport with little or no wait. If there's a wait, enjoy our free WiFi, coffee and chocolate, and hang out in our seating area. Once everybody's ready, we load up the van with your luggage and drop you off at your Keflavik destination.
If you are planning on going to Reykjavik or any other destination outside the Keflavik area, unfortunately we can't give you a lift. However, we'd be happy to help you figure out the best way to get there, whether it's looking up the bus schedule, calling a taxi, or showing you the Flybus schedule. If you are going to Reykjavik, for example, we could drive you to the airport just in time for you to take a Flybus from Keflavik Airport to Reykjavik.
Now it's time to make sure that your camper van is ready for the next adventure. Our mechanic, Pawel, makes sure that it's serviced and in good operating condition. After some quality time with Pawel, the van goes through our cleaning station where our crew cleans it from top to bottom, inside and out.
We also go through everything that is included with the van, making sure that nothing is missing or broken. Once the van is clean and feeling good, it has earned the "Good to Go!" sign and proudly waits for its next adventure.